Are you looking for a thermostat that offers optimum comfort? Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is what you need. The Smart Thermostat will keep you connected all the time. The thermostat functions seamlessly with a mobile device to offer you full comfort. Its minimalist design makes it perfect for all kinds of décor. Sensi™ (Wi-Fi) Smart Thermostat takes the same space as a regular thermostat. Thus, there is no need to paint or patch your wall after installing it.
The on-screen display of the device keeps you informed about the condition of your home. It comes with a clock that allows you to check the time whenever you check the temperature. What makes it perfect is it is easy to install. You don’t have to hire anybody. Just set it up all by yourself in no time. It has a dedicated app that will quickly take you through the entire setup process.
Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat Features and Specifications
Sensi ST55 Smart Thermostat comes with a practical design and a responsive touchscreen. With this, you can adjust the temperature, create schedules, and more directly from the thermostat. Let’s take a look at a few notable features of the thermostat-
• ST55 Smart Thermostat has an app that lets you control and schedules your home comfort without any hassle.
• It has a low profile and sleek design to make it compatible for all décor.
• The featured on-screen lets you know the humidity reading of your home.
• Its backlight makes it perfect for low lighting and night time.
• The thermostat comes with a block that lets you check the time.
The ST55 thermostat has been designed for quick installation. The company’s quick connection and installation overview will show you how easy it is.
How to Setup Hardware and Software of Emerson Sensi ST55 Thermostat?
Do you want to set up the hardware and software of the thermostat? The easy process to do it has been discussed below. But, before you start with it, you need to gather little information,
• Sensi password that is present at the back of the Welcome Guide or the back portion of the thermostat faceplate. It will come up as the ‘Sensi Security Code’.
• Network Name and ensure it is a 2.4Ghz network.
• Password of the Wi-Fi network.
• Hardware present in the Sensi™ (WiFi) Smart Thermostat packaging.
Now, let’s move on to the installation steps.
Download the App
You have to download the app on your smartphone or your tablet. The app is available for free. You can download it on your iOS or Android device from App Store or Google Play Store respectively.
Create an Account
After downloading the app, you will be asked to create an account. You will have to do this for accessing your thermostat remotely. Make sure that you provide a valid email address and a strong password. Once registered, the Sensi™ Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is going to be linked to the email address.
When you are done downloading the app and have created the account, you can start to install the device on the wall by connecting it to the Wi-Fi. In case no thermostat has been registered yet, you can just tap on ‘+’ for adding a new thermostat.
Thereafter, choose the thermostat that you would like to install. For this, you have to choose the model number that is present at the back of the faceplate.
After you are done creating an account, signing in, and selecting the model, you will be asked if the Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat has been mounted on the wall. You have to select ‘Yes’ if it already installed on the wall and ‘No’ if it is yet to be installed.
When you click on ‘No’, you will be guided through the entire installation process by the app. In case you haven’t installed the thermostat professionally, you should choose this option.
If you have selected ‘Yes’, you will have to connect the thermostat to the Wi-Fi. In case the installation of the thermostat is done with the help of a professional than just connect it to the home Wi-Fi network, and you are done.
You will be guided through the whole process including recognizing and connecting wiring. It will also tell you how to connect to Wi-Fi. The app will walk you through the whole process.
Collect Tools and Package Contents
Now, you will have to collect the required tool to install the thermostat.
Turn Off Power
You have to turn off power to the air conditioning and heating system before you manage the thermostat wires.
Take Out the Old Thermostat Cover
You have to remove the cover with the help of a screwdriver or simply push the pressure latch. Some of the thermostat covers can pull off easily but others have to be released with the help of a screwdriver.
Photograph the Wiring
This is an important step. The app is going to ask you to click a photo of the previous thermostat along with the old wiring. This can prove to be useful later on.
If required, you can use it to solve a problem with the help of the technical support team.
Get Rid of Jumper Wires
Sensi comes with an in-built jumper wire. So, you can throw away the old jumper wires.
Select Wire Terminals
You have to select the terminal labels of the old thermostat. These have wires attached to them. The Sensi app will let you know if it’s a valid configuration.
In case you receive a message of invalid configuration, just learn about its compatibility.
A ‘common wire’ or c-wire is need for heating or cooling.
Choose the System Type
Now, you will have to select the type of system you have.
Label the Wires
You have to use the wire label sticker that comes with the pack to label the wires. Do this one at a time.
Disconnect Wires and Take Out the Base
After you label the wires, just take out the old thermostat base from the wall.
Install the New Sensi Base
You will have to use the mounting screw that has been provided to you for securing the new base to the wall.
Connect All Wires
Once the base has been secured and mounted on the wall, you will have to install the wires. Just push the wires in their respective slot. now, you will have to secure them in place with the help of a screwdriver.
Put on the Cover and Turn It On
The front display has to be pushed into the base of the thermostat. When you are done, turn on the power.
Connecting Sensi ST55 Thermostat to WiFi
Now, it’s time to connect the Wi-Fi to the thermostat.
In case you have chosen, ‘No, it needs to be installed,’ you will be provided with the instructions through the app to install and wire the thermostat prior to connecting to the Wi-Fi network.
In case the thermostat has already been installed by a professional or you have done it yourself, select ‘Yes, it is on the wall.’ This will take you directly to the page where you have to connect the equipment to the Wi-Fi.
Broadcast Sensi™ (Wi-Fi) Smart Thermostat Network
On the thermostat, you have to go to ‘Menu’ and then to ‘Mode’. You will see the icon of Wi-Fi flashing at the left-hand corner. In the middle of the thermostat, you will see the numbers, 00, 11, and 22 being displayed. It shows the Sensi version.
Connect Sensi to the Wi-Fi Network Using the App
Next, follow on-screen instructions that will be provided to you through the app. However, the connection process will vary with the operating system, the thermostat version, and the app version. In case you are connecting it using an iOS device and you find the numbers 11 or 22 displayed on the screen, you connect the thermostat using Apple HomeKit.
After you have connected to the Sensi Network, you have to enter the password that is printed on the Welcome Guide. You can also find it at the back portion of the faceplate of the thermostat. This will connect you to the Wi-Fi network.
Name and Register the Emerson ST55 Thermostat
You have to choose a name for your thermostat and then press on ‘Next’.
After you have connected Sensi, you will be asked to register it.
Choose the ‘Locate Me’ option. You also have the option to fill up the details manually. But if you want to save some time, use the first option. After you have completed, press on ‘Next’ to continue with it.
In case a contractor is already installed on the thermostat and has been registered as a partner, you can input your phone number in here. In case there is no registered number, just tap on ‘Next’.
You have successfully installed the thermostat and click on the option ‘Start Using Sensi’
How to Upgrade Firmware of Sensi ST55 Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat?
The firmware upgrades for the device are automatically pushed. Hence, you don’t have to do anything to update it. Nevertheless, make sure that you update your phone from time to time.
How to Reset Emerson Sensi ST55 Thermostat?
In case you have some problem reconnecting Sensi ST55 Smart Thermostat to the app, automatically or you cannot reconnect it due to partial display or lack of response from the buttons, you will have to reset the thermostat restore the connection.
To do this, you will have to follow the steps given below.
- Pull-on each side of the thermostat to take out the faceplate from the wall.
- Take out the batteries and wait for the display to become blank.
- Now, put in the batter and place it back on the wall. To know that the sub-base connects to the wall, you should wait for the faceplate to make a snap sound.
- The thermostat is going to reset after a minute.
What to Do If I Have Trouble Connecting Sensi ST55 Smart thermostat to the Wi-Fi?
If you are unable to connect Sensi thermostat to the Wi-Fi, you can do the following.
- Check if the Sensi app is up-to-date. Run the app’s latest version that’s present on the app store.
- Reboot your router. Just remove it from the wall for some time and then plug it back in.
- Reboot the smartphone.
- After the router reboots and you the internet connection is back on, connect your phone to the 2.4GHz network.
- In case you are using the iPhone, keep the Keychain on and allow Home Data for the app. However, if you are using Android, you will have to go to the option ‘Advanced Wi-Fi setting’ and turn off the feature ‘Switch to Mobile Data’
- It is better to turn off ‘Mobile Data’ during the setup process. You can do this from the ‘Connection Settings’.
- You can also use some other tablet or smartphone. Just download the app and sign in to the app with the email address and pass you used while creating the account.
Why is the Android Device Getting Disconnect from Sensi™ (Wi-Fi) Smart Thermostat Network while Connecting?
When you are using an Android device, you need to complete the entire connection procedure. For this, you will have to change the ‘Smart Network Switch’ or ‘Avoid Poor Connection’ setting on the device’s advanced Wi-Fi setting. These are for blocking poor internet connection. It is necessary to turn it off during the connection procedure.
Thereafter, follow the steps given below to make sure that the Android device is connected to the Sensi thermostat network.
1. Tap on ‘Settings’ on the device.
2. Next, you will have to press on ‘Wi-Fi’.
3. You will get the option to choose ‘Smart Network Switch’, or ‘Advanced’ or ‘Advanced Wi-Fi’. In case you have ‘Smart Network Switch’, just click on it to disable.
4. Now, you will have to scroll through the advanced options on your Wi-Fi. In case you find anything ‘avoid poor connection’, just disable it.
Now, you simply have to go back to the Sensi app and start with the connection process once again. The Android device will now maintain a connection with the thermostat’s network until it is able to connect to the Wi-Fi connection of your home in the next step to connect
What is Keypad Lockout and How can You Use It?
Sensi™ (Wi-Fi) Smart Thermostat comes with a keypad lockout feature that will allow you to lock the buttons on the thermostat remotely. It prevents tampering with the configuration temperature set points of the thermostat while maintaining control through the Sensi app.
You can use the Sensi app for switching on the keypad lockout feature.
- Open the app and choose the thermostat that you would like to lock from the dashboard.
- Now, if you are using an iOS device, go to ‘Settings’ by choosing the gear icon that is present at the top right corner of the app screen. However, if you are using an Android device, go to ‘Settings’ by taping on the 3-dot menu button present at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Choose ‘System Setting’.
- Now use the On/Off switch to disable or enable the keypad lockout.
Sensi thermostat Geofencing is not Working, What Should I Do?
In case Sensi Geofencing isn’t working, the first step that you have to take check the settings on the device and make sure that you have allowed the app to always get access to your location. If you have to confirm this on your iOS device, navigate to ‘Setting’ and send find Sensi app. Tap on ‘Always’ under ‘Location Access’.
In case you have an Android device, you have to do the same. However, the setting procedure might vary with the phone you have.
To get the best results, here are a few other things that you should keep in mind,
- Keep on the Wi-Fi on your device
- Airplane Mode should be off on your device
- Location Service should be On
- iOS users should keep the background app refreshed
- Android users should turn on ‘High Accuracy’ for location services
- A few mobile devices might be unable to send and receive data when you are on a call. In case your mobile phone comes with the same restriction, Sensi™ (Wi-Fi) Smart Thermostat cannot detect the location when on call.
- A few mobile devices don’t have the required hardware for supporting Location Services. So, check the specifications of the device
- In case the home Wi-Fi network is down, geofence crossing won’t work and the setpoints are not going to change.
Emerson Sensi ST55 Thermostat Review
If you are looking for a smart home thermostat, Sensi is the most sensible solution that you will come across. It is a great first smart advice and this thermostat will easily ease into your world of smart devices. The thermostat comes with stunning features and you can be in complete control of your device. Albeit, it won’t try to figure out your schedule of when you are home and when you are not but it will offer absolute climatic control.
How to Set Up the Sensi Thermostat to Work with Amazon Alexa?
You can control Sensi thermostat directly through Amazon Alexa.
To get started, follow the instructions given below.
- First, you have to download the Sensi App and create an account. Thereafter, you will have to register the Sensi thermostat through the app.
- Remember, you should have a registered Sensi Account for setting up the thermostat to be controlled by Amazon Alexa.
- Now, you have to set up the Alexa-enabled device. Also, download the Alexa app.
For controlling the Sensi thermostat with your Alexa, you will have to follow these steps given here
- Open the Sensi App
- Next, you will have to tap on the person icon on your iOS device or three-dot icons on the Android device.
- Now, tap on ‘Smart Integrations’ and then on ‘Amazon Alexa’.
If you are an iOS user, you just have to sign into the Sensi app and tap on ‘Link’. This is all you have to do. Open the Alexa app to find the thermostats under the option ‘Devices’.
However, if you are an Android user, you will have to follow the steps given below.
- Tap on ‘Amazon Alexa’ and this will take you ‘Sensi skill’ that is present inside the Alexa app.
- Next, you will have to tap on ‘Enable’.
- Now, you will have to enter the email and password and then tap on ‘Sign In’. Make sure that you don’t keep any extra space after or before the email or password.
- When you see that your Alexa has been linked to the thermostat, just tap on the option ‘X’ that is present at the upper right corner.
You will notice a pop up ‘Discover Devices’. Choose it or just say ‘Alexa discover new devices’. Now, the app is going to show you the progress bar as Alexa looks for new devices. Wait till you see the message ‘Discovery Complete.’ As the discovery is complete, you will find a list of connected devices that Alexa is capable of controlling. You will find the Sensi thermostat on the list. So, you interact with your thermostat verbally.
Note: As soon as Alexa discovers the Sensi thermostat, the app is going to show the thermostat by the name you have set. So, when you give commands to your thermostat through Amazon Alexa, you have to remember the name that you have given to the thermostat. In case you have to change the name, you will have to do this on the thermostat.
In case you are having trouble with the instructions and the Sensi thermostat is not responding, sync Sensi to Alexa using the Alexa app. Here are the steps to do so
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap on the option ‘Skills and Games’.
- Search for ‘Sensi’ in skills and then enable it.
- Now, you will have to enter the Sensi email ID and password. When you are done, click on ‘Sign In’.
- After you get the confirmation that Alexa has been linked with the thermostat, you have to tap on ‘X’ that is present on the upper right corner.
- You will notice a pop up ‘Discover Devices’. Select this or simply say the command, ‘Alexa discover new devices.’ You have to wait for the search to be complete. As soon as the process is complete, you will find a list of connected devices which Alexa can control.