GRYPHON Guardian Advanced Parental control router setup
Are you looking for an advanced Wi-Fi security router? GRYPHON GUARDIAN Advanced Parental Control System & Mesh WiFi Enhanced Security Router can be a good option. It is the most advanced parental control and security system available in the market. You can use it as a standalone unit that blends 2 or more mesh Wi-Fi coverage. What’s more, you can also use it as a mesh compatible expansion for your Gryphon room Guardian router.
It provides Wi-Fi coverage of up to 1800 sq. feet. The router also comes with Malware Filtering by ESET technology. It has a WAN port and Gigabit LAN port with Ethernet backhaul ready. The router’s intelligent intrusion detection protects every device that is connected to the home Wi-Fi network. Its Gryphon® extension app offers internet safety no matter where your family goes. With this, you will be able to enjoy parental controls and internet protection as you switch to cellular data. In this Gryphon Guardian review, you are going to learn more about the product.
Specifications and Features of Gryphon Guardian
The technical specification of the router has been given below:
- 2×2 MU-MIMO
- Simultaneous Dual-band Radios: 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
- 2 high power internal antennas
- Antenna beamforming
- Ethernet Backhaul Ready
Other features of the Gryphon Guardian router has been given below:
- Advanced Internet Protection: You can enjoy 24/7 protection from malware and hackers. It comes with intelligent intrusion detection that helps in protecting the devices connected to the Wi-Fi network. The router’s Malware filtering has been powered by ESET technology. With a new account, you can enjoy 6 months of a free trial. Thereafter, you can opt for the optimal paid subscription. It offers active network vulnerability scan and ad block technology.
- Gryphon® HomeBound: This offers on-the-go parental and protection controls. Thus, your family can use the internet safely anywhere they go. The extension app offers Advanced Internet Protection and also parental control when you switch to a cellular network or use some other Wi-Fi connection.
Gryphon Guardian Hardware Installation
If you want to setup your Gryphon Wi-Fi router, you will have to follow the steps given below:
- The first step that you need to take is to download the Gryphon Connect app on your Android or iOS device from the Google Play Store or App Store respectively.
- Launch the app after installation and then create your account using your email address.
- Next, you will have to follow the steps given on the app to set up the router.
- During the setup process, you will be prompted to use the phone’s camera to scan the QR code present at the bottom of the camera.
- Now, plug in the power adapter that came with the box to the back of the router.
- Also, connect the Ethernet cable to the back of Gryphon.
- This will give you 1 of the 2 network setups. The first is the modem with the Wi-Fi router or the modem router combo. In case you have a modem that comes with a separate Wi-Fi router unplug it from the old one and then connect it to Gryphon. However, if you have a modem router combo, you need to use the Ethernet cable that came with the box for connecting the Gryphon router to the combo unit.
- Wait for the light on Gryphon to blink. Thereafter, you can pair the device using the Gryphon Connect app. In case the pairing fails, turn off the modem by unplugging it and then replug it. this is going to reset the system.
- When the pairing is done. The app will show the network name and password. If you want, you can reset them.
- The router is going to take a minute to reboot.
- When the Gryphon is back on, connect your devices to the network.
Note: You can go to ‘Settings’ to change your network name or password.
In case you have a combo modem router unit, make sure that you disable the old network or change the password. This way your kids can’t get around the Gryphon, by connecting devices to the old network.
Gryphon Guardian Router Software Setup
Gryphon is a smart Wi-Fi router that comes with an app that helps in protecting your kids and also your privacy online. The Gryphon Connect app serves as a remote control. Here are the steps to download the Gryphon Guardian router setup app.
- Open the app, you will see get to see the dashboard.
- There is a Pause button at the centre. This will pause the managed devices along with entertainment devices like TV. The devices under ‘Things’ are still going to be connected to the internet.
- Under ‘Pause’ you will find the ‘Status Bar’ showing the user devices or profiles paused on bedtime or homework time. Click on it to go to ‘User Display’. Below this, you will find the devices that are on the network. The devices on the network are categorized into
- ‘Managed Devices’, ‘Unmanaged Devices’, ‘Things’, and ‘TV and Entertainment’.
- At the base of the dashboard, you will find the navigation tabs for ‘Users’, ‘Notification Tab’, ‘Network’, and ‘Settings’.
- Obviously, you don’t want to set the same bedtime for your teen and toddler. ‘Users’ will let you create different user profiles for each member of the family. When you are done creating the user profiles, assign the iPad, Laptop, and other devices to connect them to the internet.
- Notification tab is where you are going to get notification messages for blocked sites or bedtime extension requests from your kids. Click on the notification to block or approve. You are also going to get virus alerts here. If you get software update alerts it will also be shown here.
- The ‘Network’ tab shows the network health. You will find a meter. This is how fast the Gryphon is connected to the network and not how fast the laptop is as there can be other factors like one of your family members playing on Xbox. In this section, you will also get to see the active devices that are connected to Gryphon. You can also prioritize a device on the network when you have to need it for something important.
- In the ‘Settings’ tab. This is where you will be able to change the Wi-Fi name or password, malware protection level, or add another repeater. In case you have to contact customer support, you will find the option under ‘Settings’.
How to Set Up the gryphon room guardian as the Wireless Mesh Repeater?
If you set up the Gryphon Wireless mesh repeater, just follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, you will have to ensure that the main Gryphon has been set up adequately and connected.
- Now, you have to plug in the new Gryphon to use it as the wireless mesh repeater.
- Make sure that you place it in an area where it is going to receive a good signal from the primary Gryphon base. Usually, it is in its line of sight and less than 25 feet from the base. If you want, you can reposition the repeater following the setup process.
- Open the Gryphon Connect app and click on ‘Settings’. Thereafter, choose ‘Setup Repeater.’
- Now, you have to follow the step by step instructions given by the app.
- You will be prompted to scan the QR code given under the mesh repeater.
- Now, wait for the light on the mesh repeater to blink. Thereafter, choose a pair. It is going to take a few minutes to configure.
- Once connected, the repeater light is going to be steady.
- If required, you can reposition your Gryphon mesh repeater somewhere in your home for better coverage.
What to Do When You are Unable to Connect to Gryphon?
In case the Gryphon router is unable to pair with the modem or fails to establish a connection, you will have to do a Gryphon-modem power cycle.
- Power down the Gryphon, as well as the modems simply by unplugging the power plugs from each unit.
- Next, you will have to check to ensure that the Ethernet cable has been connected to Gryphon and modem.
- Now, you will have to plug in the power cable to Gryphon for powering it on and then wait for about 10-15 seconds.
- Thereafter, plug the power cable for powering on the modem.
- Wait for the LED light on the Gryphon to blink white. Remember that Gryphon Guardian orange light blinks and it is then going to turn to white to show it has been connected.
- Lastly, use the Gryphon Connect app to proceed with the setup.
How to Hard Reset the Gryphon guardian?
If you have to hard reset the router, you will have to get a paper clip. As you switch on Gryphon, put in the paper clip in the RST hole present at the back of Gryphon, close to the power plug. Then, you will have to press and hold this clip for around 20 seconds and release it. You will see the Gryphon LED light going off for a few seconds and then coming back up.
How to Test signal strength test?
When you place the repeater in a new location, you need to follow the instructions given below to make sure the connection of the repeater with the base router has a good signal strength.
- Open the mobile app and check the Network page.
- Next, you will have to click on the refresh button present under connected devices.
- In case the repeater is listed, click on the icon of Wi-Fi placed next to the name of the repeater. Check and write down the signal strength displayed.
- If your repeater is not listed or the Received Signal Strength Indicator is less than 19, you have to move the repeater closer or higher to the router to get better coverage.
- In case you are still having an RSSI value lesser than 19, you need to repeat step 2 and 4.
What to Do When iOS Phones Show Error Invalid Token?
Generally, this happens when the customer substitutes the physical phone with a new one and then try logging in using the Gryphon Connect app prior to un-pairing it from the original phone.
In order to solve this problem, you can
- Power cycle the new phone and try logging in once more
- Unpair from the old phone and the Gryphon Connect application and then try to log in again.
- Unpair from the Shepherd server manually and have a customer log in using your new device.
Every time, the customer has to use the same email that is present in Shepherd. If this is not done, Gryphon is not going to retain its previous setup information and is going to set up as a new device.
How to Setup Different Schedules for Homework Time, Suspend, and Bedtime on gryphon guardian router?
In order to use this feature, you have to make sure that the profile has been set up for your children in the mobile application. Next, follow these steps of Gryphon Guardian Manual.
- Go to the option ‘Users’.
- Choose the particular user for editing the details.
- Next, you will have to click on the ‘User Edit’ icon for managing the ‘User Settings’.
- Click on the option ‘Screen Time Management’
- On the screen, you will have to click on the day/time that you would like to set as homework or bedtime for entering the Internet Schedule management screen.
- Choose the schedule category: Bedtime, Homework, or Suspend.
Remember, suspend will let you initiate total Internet and app suspension for each and every user.
- Select a starting and an end time.
- Select the option for repeating the schedule of the specific category for the day. This can be every day, Never, or Weekdays (Mon-Fri)
- Lastly, click on Save.
Suspend and Bedtime performs the same action. However, the names are used for various purposes. You set the bedtime when it is time for you to sleep during the night. While suspend is for the other parts of the day when you would like suspending the internet for a certain device.
What is Included in Gryphon Subscription?
When you take the subscription, you will get to enjoy the following:
- Wireless routing, content filtering, parental control free for a lifetime
- Malware protection for the whole house along with Intrusion Detection for a year
The subscription will also contain:
- New services such as Homebound, VPN etc. Homebound can router the internet traffic through the router when your kids are away from home or are using cellular data.
- Hardware protection that it replacement of hardware in case it is broken if under contract.
Gryphon Guardian Review
Gryphon Guardian Router is incredible equipment. If you are looking for excellent internet connectivity and coverage for your home, you should definitely get this. This can be a great choice for parents who are looking for a router with parental controls. It can offer safe internet usage for you, as well as your family. However, the only drawback is that the Gryphon Guardian advanced parental control system features are available for free for a few months. This is a minor disadvantage as you can always get a subscription. This router is well-built and offers excellent connectivity. With this, you can get internet coverage in an area of around 1800 square feet. These days when people at home are streaming multiple devices at the same time, Gryphon Guardian is the best bet.