The Netgear Orbi RBS50Y satellite is a complete gadget that works with 802.11ac routers to repeat the coverage up to 2500 square feet area. It has a mode that lets you configure it in an extender. It is designed to expand the Orbi AC router range. The tri-band repeater is congruent to furnishes a brisk throughout of around 3000 MBps. The ports on its back permit a 4*4 backhaul connection for additional devices for a more trustworthy and snappy WiFi connection. Create a guest network for visitants to get network security sans sharing a password.
The IP66 rated device is best to install outdoors as it tackles drizzles, dust, showers, and snow. Ferret out the extender from anywhere with its ambient LED light that glows at nighttime. The installation is much more effortless. Mount it to set anywhere and start using the internet. For meticulous setup info, check the guide below.
Netgear Orbi RBS50Y Satellite Setup
Unpack your satellite parcel box and bring out the Orbi outdoor satellite manual, satellite gadget, powerline adapter, wall mount, screws, and brackets. Put all these add-ons in a secure place. Once done, deem the manual carefully. You can set up this satellite in Orbi mode and extender mode. It relies upon you. For setting up the Orbi as an extender, you need a WiFi box(router) that is different from Orbi. While setting up as an Orbi mode will require an Orbi router.
Netgear Orbi Satellite Setup as an Orbi Mode
The satellite is set to Orbi mode by itself. To set it up as an Orbi mode, obey the given info.
- Firstly, you have to put your satellite beside the Orbi router.
Next, apply the electric current to the satellite.
- The PWR LED on the satellite will be lit up, If it does not, then thumb down the power button manually.
- Stay a jiffy and wait patiently till you see the white LED light on the very bottom end of the device. If the Orbi satellite flashing white light, then it is booting. If the satellite solid white light glows, the booting is ended and you are good to sync it with the Orbi router.
- Look for the rear of the satellite. There is a sync button, push it. On your Orbi router, thumb down the sync button within 2 minutes as well.
- Stay a jiffy and remain patiently till the satellite syncs with your Orbi router. This operation could take 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once the Satellite white light glows, the connection is good. The Netgear Orbi outdoor satellite blue light will also show, which signifies the satellite is attempting to sync with the router.
Note: The satellite comes with the Netgear Orbi app. Install the app from the mobile store. Once done, follow the app prompt to finish the setup.
Straightforward Steps to Setup Orbi as Extender
You can use Orbi as extender. For that, you have to configure it with the extender following the given steps.
- Firstly, set your satellite beside the WiFi box(router). Now, join the satellite to the power supply, but do not turn it on. If it is ON, then clasp and force down the power button with your finger to turn it OFF.
- Next, force down the sync button on the Orbi satellite. Simultaneously, push the power button and free it. The PWR LED on the satellite will glow up.
- Continue to clasp and push the sync button until you see the white and blue LED light on the very bottom flank of the device. Free the sync button now.
- If the Orbi satellite white light blinks, then it is booting. If the satellite solid white light glows, the booting is ended and you are ready to sync it.
- Now progress to your PC or digital phone and search for the NETGEAR_EXT on WLAN settings. It is an open network, join it. Now launch any search portal(web browser) and chase mywifiext.net.
- Once the page manifests, go after the online info to pair the satellite to your prevailing connection. Once the setup is accomplished, arrange your Netgear Orbi RBS50Y satellite placement. For that, you need to install it on the wall or fix it using the stand.
Mount the Netgear Orbi outdoor satellite(RBS50Y)
The wall mount installation started here. Obey the given steps to mount the satellite into the wall,
- Mount the Satellite– Firstly, ferret out the spot on the wall where you want to fix the satellite and clean it with a dry cloth. Once cleaned, Put the mount bracket onto the wall, and make three spots. Employing a 5 by 32 inch drill bit, drill the holes into all three marked spots. Put the mount bracket onto the wall and fix it by fastening the screws. Glide your Orbi satellite into the wall bracket.
- Lock The satellite– Obey the info as stated above. Pick the screws from the parcel box and put them onto the wall bracket. It must be flush with a lock. Set the lock on the top flank of the wall bracket. Now fasten the screws to establish a tight connection of the lock to the bracket.
Fix the Orbi wifi 6 outdoor Satellite to the Stand(RBS50Y)
To install your Satellite on the stand, obey the given steps.
- Fix to the stand- Employing a screw having a head slot will permit you to fix the wall mount bracket to the stand. Next, set the Netgear Orbi RBS50Y satellite and glide by applying little force.
- Lock The satellite– Obey the info as stated above. Select the screws from the parcel box and positioned them onto the wall bracket. It must be flush with a lock. Fix the lock on the top side of the wall bracket. Next, secure the screws to make a tight connection of the lock to the bracket.
Fix the Netgear Orbi outdoor Satellite wifi 6 Powerline adapter
- Lock the Powerline adapter– Employing a bolt, as well as bracket, will grant you to fasten the powerline adapter to the satellite. It will secure your powerline adapter to disconnect randomly from the satellite.
- Wall mount Powerline adapter– To secure the powerline adapter to the wall, put two wooden screws onto the wall. Next, fix the powerline adapter above the screws.
Once mounted, apply electric current to the satellite. Get sure that the bottom LED light glows blue. The sync button has been disabled automatically for security reasons. Go to the Orbi extender web page to enable the sync button. On the basic home page, go to the attached devices and then pick your satellite. Hit the disabled symbol on the interface to enable it.
Change the Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi Outdoor Satellite mode
Clasp and force the ON/OFF button to make the satellite to OFF condition, if it is previously ON. Clasp and hold the sync button as well. Resume to clasp the sync button and apply a little thumb to the power button simultaneously. Once you spot the blue LED light on the bottom, free the sync button.
Netgear Orbi RBS50Y satellite Firmware Update
Get sure that your Orbi satellite is paired with the Orbi router to continue. Go after these effortless steps to update the firmware.
- Chase the Orbi login website orbilogin.net and typify the user admin credentials. Once you are into the basic home interface, proceed to the advanced tab. Later, progress to the administration section.
- Next, go to the firmware section and then hit the online Upgrade box. The Orbi satellite firmware page opens.
- Hit the check icon to inspect whether the firmware is available for update. If available, hit update all symbol.
- The Netgear Orbi RBS50Y satellite firmware update begins. When an update is concluded, the satellite will boot up automatically. The update process could take two minutes.
- You can also do the satellite firmware manual upgrade by downloading the file from the Netgear support page. Upload to the firmware section on the web management page.
Orbi outdoor satellite Troubleshooting
The troubleshooting tips will help you to rectify the problems you have faced if any.
- While doing the setup, if you did not see the white solid light, then you have to get sure that the satellite is in a proximity spot to the WiFi box.
- Affirm the satellite is ON and is receiving power. If you have set up the extender in incorrect mode, then change the mode as stated above.
- Reboot your Netgear Orbi satellite by shutting it from the electrical receptacle or surge protector. Apply the electric current one more time to boot up.
- Assure that you have updated the firmware to the most advanced available version by following the process as stated above. Do not leave the Orbi satellite firmware update process midway. Otherwise, the incomplete firmware may create a problem.
- If the Orbi outdoor satellite not syncing, note that you have enabled the sync button before mounting. The sync button will be turned off by Netgear for security reasons. Turn on the sync button features following the steps as assisted above.
- Conclude the Netgear Orbi satellite factory reset process. Employ a stick or identical tool to force into the Orbi satellite reset button for about 5 to 7 seconds. The Orbi satellite flashing light randomly. The Orbi outdoor satellite is reset.
Orbi RBS50Y Satellite review
I purchased this Orbi satellite last week from Walmart to install in the backyard. It dramatically repeats the coverage of the Orbi mesh network. The backyard is exposed to rain and dust. This satellite tackles all these troubles, The backhaul radio transmission delivers a brisk speed too. Works superbly till now. The regular firmware update protects your networks from bugs and attacks. One thing I would not like is the price. It is a very expensive gadget. You can easily find gadgets with better features at this price. I suggest purchasing this device on sale to save your money.