Ubiquiti’s AmpliFi Wi-Fi Router setup, troubleshooting and review
Do you like exploring things on the Internet? Are you a gamer? Do you feel network issues while exploring ideas or playing a game? Is your Router’s network don’t work in every corner of your house? Many of you will say yes because we all are very familiar with internet signal problems. As day by day, Internet users are increasing; the network issues are also rising. This could be due to many problems like a problem with your Router, signal strength on your cable line, Wi-Fi signals, bandwidth saturation, or slow DNS server.
But the faster internet speed is the need of the world. And especially in the period like Covid19 pandemic, where everyone is dependent on the Internet as employees are working from home, students are studying from home; the bill payments are making through online portals need to have an unbreakable network. You will be glad to know about Ubiquiti’s AmpliFi. Moreover, this device is the solution for all your issues related to a slow system. In this article, you will know all the details about this device.
What is the AmpliFi WiFi Router?
Amplify means to boost. An AmpliFi is a Home Wi-Fi system. It is a device that boosts up your network. It works like a router, but its features and technology make it a different and more compatible Wi-Fi system. Also, the tool makes your streaming and gaming experience full of fun with its performance. It has antennas to beam reliable Wi-Fi to every corner of your house. The setup time is not more than 2-3 minutes. The design of the device is a complement to your home.
AmpliFi HD mesh system
Mesh system itself told that it is a system that covers every point of the place. The Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD mesh system comprises a router base station and two wireless super mesh for maximum Wi-Fi coverage to provide maximum wireless performance in an innovative design. The Router has an LCD screen where you can see the performance. You can instantly set up the device via, a mobile app with your iOS and Android, or an internet browser.
Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Home Wi-Fi Router Specification
- Networking Interference – Wi-Fi/ Gigabit Ethernet (1) WAN, (4) LAN
- Maximum Power Consumption – 11W
- Antennas – 3 Dual-Band Antennas
- Display – 40.6 mm Diagonal, 240*240, 212 PPI, G+F full color
- Wi-Fi standard – 802.11 b/g/a/n/ac
- Wireless Security – WAP2-PSK AES/TKIP
- Operating Temperature – 55° to -10°C
- Operating Humidity – 95% non condensing
Amplifi HD WiFi Router Setup using an application on your Android:
You can follow the below steps to install the app and set it with the Router
- Use the App Store or Google Play to download the AmpliFi app and then install it.
- Launch the AmpliFi app, ensuring your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled.
Your app is ready. Now, lets set up the Amplifi HD Router.
- Firstly, click on Setup AmpliFi Mesh System
- Hit on Skip (to avoid unnecessary steps)
- Select AmpliFi Router HD
- Then set a Name and Password to your wireless network and press Continue.
- After the completion of the configuration, the Router will emit a sound.
- Join the wireless network created by you through your mobile device and press Continue.
- Lastly, if you wish to enable Remote Access then, sign in with any of your accounts like Google or Facebook, otherwise skip the step.
- Your setup is ready.
Only one AmpliFi Router is accessible at a time by the app. If you want to switch the AmpliFi, you have to:
- Press the icon on the left-hand side of the app, and you will find the menu.
- Secondly, press Switch AmpliFi. You will be on the first step of the previous setup.
- Now, there will be three options on your screen viz.,
– SetUp AmpliFi Mesh System
– SetUp AmpliFi Standalone Meshpoint
– I already have configured AmpliFi
Choose the appropriate option, and proceed.
These are the steps for a router. Now let’s learn how to set up the AmpliFi Mesh System:
Press Set up AmpliFi Mesh System and repeat steps from Router installation.
Now, you will find the Setup AmpliFi Standalone Meshpoint option. This option allows you to set up a standalone mesh point and add it to the existing Wi-Fi system. Follow the below steps:
- If more than one Meshpoint is being installed, select the device that needs to be configured.
- You will see the list of available Wi-Fi networks on your display, select the system associated with your Router.
- Now, enter the password of the wireless network and press continue.
- Soon, you will find that the Meshpoints are connected on your display.
What is the working of “I Already Have Configured AmpliFi”?
This option is to allow you to log in to an existing AmpliFi Router.
- Firstly, press I Already Have Configured AmpliFi
- Press the AmpliFi Router; you wish to log in
- Now you can see the System tab’s status, press on the device for the configuration option.
Now, let’s connect the AmpliFi Router and Meshpoint
- The Meshpoint will be visible after you launch the app if your AmpliFi Router is running. Press Add to Network.
- Give a name to your Meshpoint and press Continue.
- Finally, the screen will show the Meshpoint connected. The LEDs will show the signal strength.
If you want to use Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), enable WPS on LCD in the Router setting.
Now, you have learned about the installation and setup of the device using an app.
Learn how to setup Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Router without an application:
We will learn this step by step:
- First and foremost, press the Amplifi wifi Router’s screen to find the additional setup option.
- Now, use a computer for the connection of the Wi-Fi network SSID(name) displayed on the screen of the Router; the characters in the network represents the MAC address of the Router.
- After the connection, open an internet browser and wait for a pop-up box of the AmpliFi portal to get visible.
- Create a new name and password for your wireless network (Password must be at least 8-characters long). The same password will be used to administer the Router.
- Press Save and Continue
- Finally, join the wireless network you created in step no four on your computer.
Ubiquiti’s Amplifi HD Configuration
- On your computer, open an internet browser.
- When the pop-up window of AmpliFi Portal appears, press Setting.
- Press Login with entering an administrator password.
Now, you will have to select your connection type among DHCP, Static, and PPPoE.
DHCP: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (Automatically Configure AmpliFi Router)
- After selecting this connection type, tap Save and Continue. The Router will emit a sound, indicating the configuration is completed.
Static: This option allows you to manually configure the information given by Internet Service Provider (ISP) like IP address, Network Mask, Gateway Address, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS. Tap Save and Continue, and the Router will emit a sound, indicating the configuration is completed.
PPPoE: Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet. It is a virtual connection. It is a very secure connection that encapsulates data transport.
Enter the username and password instructed by ISP, and tap Save and Continue. You will hear a sound emitted by the Router indicating the configuration is completed.
How to reset Amplifi wifi router Router to the factory default setting?
- Open the AmpliFi app on your smartphone or tablet
- Tap on the picture of the Router and once it open tap General
- click Factory Reset.
This way, your all the setting goes to reset. Or else, you can manually reset each device to factory default. But, if you manually reset the Router, you will have to reset the Meshpoint too.
How to update AmpliFi HD Firmware?
To update the current version, follow the steps- open the AmpliFi App>select the AmpliFi router icon> Amplifi HD/Instant/Gamer Edition>nevigate to update in the information subsection (in Android AmpliFi HD)> AmpliFi will check for the newest firmware. You will be prompted to upgrade if there is any availability of the update.
Some issues you may face
1) What if the Internet is working, Slow?
A: Follow these steps:
- Make sure that the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Home wi-fi router is correctly plugged into a power source.
- Make sure that the modem and the Router both are connected via an Ethernet cable.
- Disconnect power from modem and Router.
- Wait for a minute and reconnect the power to the modem.
- Wait for one more minute and reconnect the power to the Router. Your Internet will be working.
- If still, your Internet is not working, then contact your ISP to find out if there any outage on their end or if your account information has changed.
2) What if the Ubiquiti Amplifi router display doesn’t respond?
A: The Router has a smart LCD touchscreen display. In case the screen becomes unresponsive or freezes in any way, please follow- Disconnect the power from the Router>wait for 10 seconds>reconnect the power to the Router.
1) How can I change my Ubiquiti Amplifi HD admin password?
A: Follow the steps- Open AmpliFi app>Genaral>Change password>Save.
2) For better performance, where do I place my Router and Meshpoint?
A: Try to keep it at the center of the home or as close to the center as possible and place Meshpoints on each side of the Router. The LEDs on the Meshpoint indicate the signal; all the LEDs will be light up if the message is so strong.
3) How can I change the configuration of my Ubiquiti Meshpoints?
A: You don’t have to worry about this much. Mesh points automatically get pair up with your Router. But if you want to change details like device name or system sound, you can open Amplifi app>tap on one of the mesh points>Make the required change>save.
4) How can I change my Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Mesh Wi-Fi password?
A: By default, the device password and Wi-Fi password are the same. You can change the password during the Router’s initial setting via open the AmpliFi App>press wireless>change password and SSID>save.
5) How can I set up and configure a guest network on Ubiquiti Amplifi HD Home Mesh?
A: You can follow the steps- open the AmpliFi App>tap guest>select how many guests up to a maximum of 10, you want to allow>set a time limit for how long you want them to have access, if you don’t want to set time limit, tap ‘Always On’ and guest network will be enabled.
6) How can I turn off or adjust the lights of my AmpliFi Router?
A: Please follow- open the AmpliFi app>tap general>use the brightness sliders to adjust or turn off the LCD screen and LCD on the Router.
7) Can I use my current ISP?
A: Yes. The Router works with most of the ISP’s as it connects directly to the modem you already have.
8) Does an AmpliFi have a web interface?
A: Yes. You will monitor and configure your AmpliFi network using a web browser on your PC or Mac and any iOS or Android device.
9) What do I do, I can’t see the Router in the AmpliFi app?
A: Please ensure that your device is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network.
10) I forget my password. How can I retrieve it?
A: Sorry, currently, there is no way to retrieve a custom password. You can reset the password to the default by resetting the Router to the factory default setting.
11) How is this different from b01l9o08pw – amplify HD Wi-Fi system by Ubiquiti labs, seamless whole-home wireless internet coverage, HD Wi-Fi router, 2?
A: The products are identical except for the antenna design; this new design matches our Gamer’s Edition.
12) Does this have 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time?
A: That’s correct, but 5GHz is the dominant signal, so if your device is only compatible with 2.4, you may need to turn off the 5, connect your device to 2.4, then enable five once again.
13) Can I put one of these in the house and one in a metal building?
A: Your mesh antennas need to be within the range of the Router. I installed this for a client in a 3600~Sqft two-story home. I set the mesh points to use 2.4GHz connection for greater distance, and they connect in the app as “average.” House is a stick-built, drywall home. Not very impressed compare to the UniFi line I use in my home. Depending on the distance from your Router plus the metal roof, you may have an issue. You can have a hardwired backhaul with these, so that is an option if your scenario allows it.
14) Mesh points: can you extend a signal by ‘linking’ mesh points, or does each mesh point independently have to reach the Router?
A: Yes, you can link mesh points and keep extending.
15) Does the power supply come with this product?
A: Yes, it comes with a USB-C power supply.
16)Does this system work with ATT Uverse?
A: Yes, Ubiquiti Amplifi works with ATT; you may also need to use the Bridge mode feature in AmpliFi for full compatibility.
17) Is it possible to specify my own QoS policies on either edition?
A: No, the AmpliFi Gamer’s editions Latency and Throughput mode differ from the HD.
18) Can two amplify HD routers be added for remote wired connectivity (for entertainment centers, etc.) and have them also work wirelessly in the mesh?
A: Yes, AmpliFI HD stands alone routers can be added as wired or wireless mesh points, which will enable all 4 LAN ports and works as mesh points.
19) Is Amplifi HD Wifi Router compatible with Alexa?
A: Alexa can connect to it just fine. Not sure what you mean by “compatible” in this question. I don’t know if you can use Alexa to control these devices.
20) Does this have a phone jack on the back?
Ubiquiti Amplifi High Density Wifi Router Review
This product was gifted by one of my friends on my birthday. It was well packaged and Much like apple, nest, beats packaging. I have a five rooms house, but I have never been able to get a good Wi-Fi signal to the opposite end of the house because of where I have to hook up my modem in my home office. I also could not get a message in my garage or anywhere outdoors. This limited me significantly on using things like Wi-Fi security cameras etc.
I finally decided to give this system a try, and I am glad I did. Very easy to set up and works great! I no longer have dead spots in the house and get coverage far out into my yard. The range is excellent, and I love the app that allows you to turn off the Internet to individual devices. I think this whole system was very well thought out. Also, it looks great in my living room. If you like speed, range, and the ability to make minor customization, this could be for you.